Remember, Remember the First of September

I’ve never been one for setting New Year’s resolutions simply because Jan. 1 never really felt like the start of a new year to me. Being on a traditional school system for my whole life meant that any indicator of a fresh start came in September, and that hasn’t changed.

September means a lot of things. In the fashion world, September indicates a new year in clothes. After a long summer in the Hamptons or somewhere less glamorous, people return to their jobs and hometowns to a new year in business, triggering new trends, fashion week and the fattest September issue of Vogue you’ve ever seen. Not everyone can relate to fashion necessarily but this way of looking at things perfectly coincides with those of us who are in school and those of us who see September as a fresh start.

For me, September means a new school year, a new apartment and maybe new romantic ventures (or if I don’t keep my head on my shoulders, it may also mean the rehashing of old romantic ventures). It also means the reemergence of my column — a personal evaluation of what it’s like to be young and single in the 21st century and all the complications that can come with that. But that’s why I’m making resolutions, to counteract anything misguided I’m known to do. So I propose we drop the whole January thing and evaluate our lives based on the schedules we already so diligently keep. For me this will be the second-to-last time I’ll make a new school year resolution because soon enough I’ll graduate and have to concede to society’s schedule.

Here’s what I came up with. 1.) I’ll be more open to social opportunities. Not being in the mood is not a valid reason to pass up a great night out with new friends. 2.) I’ll play less games with guys. If I like someone, I’ll try to be direct instead of my usual passive self. 3.) I’ll think before I text. I don’t think that needs to be explained. 4.) I’ll cut down on Facebook stalking the opposite sex, a practice my friends and I are quite familiar with. I want people to still seem like people to me, not profiles. Love is something that is often shaped by the time period. Whether that’s “Love in the Time of Cholera” or love in the time of texting, I think it’s important to periodically evaluate our thought process on the subject and really think about if we’re doing things in the best way.

Of course keeping a journal is one way to express my thoughts on this subject but by periodically evaluating where my love life stands every few weeks in the form of a column, I can do just that while also thinking about issues that affect all of us here at UCSD. Putting my life on blast to an odd 26,000 people is much more cathartic anyway. Stay tuned for the next installment where slut jars meet feminism. Don’t worry, I’m as confused as you are.