Restaurant Review: Street Side Thai Kitchen

Inside, the dining room is a pleasant sanctuary, warmly painted in earthy red, with large photos of ingredients and dishes mounted on the wall to depict the real moments in Thailand. But whether you choose to eat outside on the patio and experience North Park’s quirky atmosphere or enjoy its casual and sophisticated dining room, Street Side Thai Kitchen is a place to dine for delectable Thai cuisine without hurting your wallet.

The Street Fair ($10.95) is a combination of appetizer favorites: chicken satay (2), moo yang (2), fried rolls (2) and crispy triangles (3). The chicken satay consists of chicken skewers marinated with herbs and then grilled to create that perfect, smoky flavor. Moo yang is Thai-style pork skewers, marinated with spices and then charbroiled with traditional spicy sauce. The moist pork is satisfying on its own as it pulls off effortlessly from the skewer, tasting like spiced yellow curry.

But the best of the favorites is the crispy deep-fried egg rolls stuffed with veggies. They are seriously the best fried rolls you can ask for — so hot and crispy that you feel like you’re eating real fresh food served right from the frying pan. Finally, the crispy triangles — crispy wontons stuffed with curried potato, shrimp and crab — are a little bland, providing mostly saltiness alone. The entire Street Fair is served with a special peanut sauce that ultimately tops the ordinary sweet and sour sauce that also comes along. This peanut sauce is a perfect condiment for these appetizers, giving a little nutty kick that is not overwhelmingly creamy in your mouth.

The Pumpkin Curry ($8.95) consists of a coconut milk-based yellow curry sauce with peas, bell pepper, carrots, zucchinis, and pumpkin squash, sided by jasmine rice, salad and a fried roll. As with all curry dishes, it comes with your choice of protein — we opted for chicken. With generous cuts of moist chicken breasts, it’s the best choice of protein for those who may not be serious meat lovers, but still crave a little protein. The curry is spicy, sweet, fragrant and creamy with coconut. The more delicate vegetables like the squash and zucchinis thankfully don’t melt away in the hot curry sauce, so they still retain their lush texture and distinct flavor. It’s a fulfilling dish indeed.

Pad Kee-Mau (Drunken Noodles) ($8.95) is flat rice noodles with chili, bell peppers, onions, bamboo shoots, carrots, tomato, basil leaves and egg. Our choice of beef as the protein was a little too juicy, giving a bit of an overwhelming flavor with all the other ingredients. If you like it lighter, definitely go for tofu or chicken. Decidedly spicy and nutty, this dish rocks your taste buds. The first bite may tear up your eyes, but after that you are more likely to get addicted to its original tanginess. A tip of advice would be to try other dishes first beforehand when your taste buds are still alive.

Given that every day of the week is known for its very own Street Side Thai Kitchen discount after 5 p.m., it’s a hit for college students with money to save, especially on food (what else can you save for really). The best deal is on Fridays and Saturdays when there is a student discount of 15 percent off with a valid ID. On top of that, they also deliver for free to University Heights, Linda Vista, Hillcrest and Balboa Park, so the lucky ones who live around the area should certainly go for it.

Hours: Lunch – Mon. – Fri. – 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
    Sat. & Sun. – 12 p.m. – 3 p.m.
    Dinner – Sun. – Thur. – 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.
    Fri. & Sat. – 5 p.m. – 11 p.m.
    Location: 3025 University Ave., North Park
    Recommended: Pumpkin Curry