Tritons Advance to Super Regional at CSU Dominguez Hills

The Toros tied for the regular season title with CSU Monterey Bay — both teams finished with a 27–7 record in conference.

The Tritons have faced the Toros on five occasions this season. UCSD took a 1–0 win against the Toros in its CCAA tournament opener. UCSD won three of its four games against the Toros back in March in its conference home series.
    But with the No. 1 seed, the Toros will host the West Region final — and the Toros are undefeated at home. In 2012, CSU Dominguez Hills is currently 27–0 at Toro Stadium.
    Dominguez Hills went 3–0 in their regional bracket, taking two wins from fourth-seed Grand Canyon University and fifth-seed Sonoma State last weekend, May 5 to May 6.
    UCSD also has a lot of momentum coming into the game, winning its bracket in five games by beating third-seed Dixie State twice last weekend.
    Named yesterday, May 9, the Tritons come in tow with three All-West Region selections — senior pitcher Camille Gaito, senior centerfielder Kris Lesovsky and sophomore utility Caitilin Brown.

In the best of three final, UCSD looks dangerous. The Tritons still have arguably the best pitcher in the CCAA, senior Camille Gaito (27–9). The right-hander pitched five games straight to reach the West Regional final, and has an ERA of 1.21, but the senior has very little in the way of relief. Freshman Michelle Escamilla has logged the second most wins on the Triton roster with a 6–4 record.

Conversely, the Toros’ rotation has proven to be just as effective on the mound. Junior Stephanie Jimenez (25–5) has an ERA of 1.58, her relief, Lauren Harper (18–7), has an ERA of 1.59.

The winner of the Regional Final will qualify for the 16-team world series, to be held on May 15 to May 19 in Louisville, Kentucky.