Baseball Clinches CCAA Berth

The Tritons split the four-game series with the Golden Eagles, taking the first two games at home and dropping the last two on the road.

On Saturdays games we just seemed to be trying a little too hard at the plate to create offense, senior righthander Elias Tuma said.

The Tritons are the only team to have clinched a CCAA tournament berth in the conference. With a 26-14 CCAA record, the Tritons sit in first place for now, but will await the results of second place Chico State and third place Cal State San Bernardino, who both have one conference series to play.

Were waiting to see how everyone finishes conference to figure out our ranking, lefthanded pitcher Richard Kilbury said. This week at practice were going to try and work on getting back to the basics and getting the fundamentals down, going forward.

UCSD has one more series in the regular season before postseason play. The Tritons will host a two-game series with Grand Canyon University this Friday and Saturday, May 4 to 5.

UCSD will then have one week to prepare for the conference tournament, to be held the following weekend at Triton Ballpark.

GAME 1

Junior starter Ryan Goodbrand went seven innings, recording six strikeouts and allowing just one walk, to record his eighth win of the season in the series opener.

Junior Danny Susdorf named the CCAA player of the week doubled to right field, stole third base and was brought home on a ground out by first baseman Richard Siegel.

The Tritons doubled the lead in the fourth inning, off a big single from Gregg Ringold that scored rightfielder Scott Liske. UCSD cemented the win in the bottom of the seventh inning, as Siegel picked up his second RBI with a single to right field.

GAME 2

The top of the Triton batting order remained hot into the second game of the series, as UCSD took three runs in the bottom of the first. Susdorf, arguably the fastest man on the roster, made his way round the bases, scoring on a throwing error by the Cal State Los Angeles shortstop. Cleanup hitter Nick La Face was walked to bring on sophomore Justin Rahn, who singled to left field for two RBI.

The Tritons continued to get on base, recording five runs on six hits in their next four innings generating offense from around the lineup.

La Face finished with three RBI on four hits, while sophomore Garrett Tuck, junior Sam Michaels and Rahn all finished with two RBI.  

GAME 3

The Golden Eagles took the early lead, scoring one run in the second inning off an infield error. Cal State Los Angeles put the Tritons two more in the hole off a homerun by designated hitter Nick Rodarte.

The Golden Eagles went yard again in the bottom of the fifth inning with a solo homerun off third baseman Daniel Duran.

UCSD took one back off a double by Liske in the sixth inning, and in the eighth inning socred another run off a Rahn single down the middle, but it wasnt enough to close the gap.

GAME 4

The Tritons were shut out in the series finale as Golden State pitcher Gabriel Asakura went the distance, allowing UCSD just two hits while recording eight strikeouts.

Cal State Los Angeles went up 2-0 in the bottom of the first inning. The Golden Eagles loaded the bases, setting up rightfielder Cliff Quick to record two RBIs. Cal State Los Angeles picked up one more run in the fifth inning.

UCSD had no response.