Davis Report to be released

In his March 28 ruling, California Superior Court Judge Evelio Grillo wrote that the report should conceal the names of all but two of the officers involved. Grillo’s ruling is in compliance with California Penal Code sections 832.7 and 827.8, which prohibit general release of private records of police activity. UCD Police Chief Annette Spicuzza and Lt. John Pike — who became notorious last year when videos of him deliberately spraying Davis Occupy protesters went viral — will both be named. 

In his ruling, Grillo said that neither the state government nor the California Supreme Court provides any provisions allowing for significant restrictions on the public release of reports about law enforcement officers. 

He also said that there is no legislation preventing “public entities from disclosing the results of those investigations if they touched on the conduct of individual police officers.” 

The report is the findings of a task force led by former California Supreme Court Justice Cruz Reynoso. UC President Mark G. Yudof commissioned the task force last November with the job of investigating the now-infamous UC Davis pepper spray incident and providing insight on how to approach similar scenarios in the future.  

While Grillo ruled that no legal codes prevented the report from being released with names withheld, UC General Counsel Charles Robinson released a statement on March 29 announcing that the task force would postpone the release even further as to allow the police union a chance to appeal the decision. 

The task force will postpone the release past the first week in April to allow 21 days for an appeal to be filed. The earliest date the report can be released is April 23.