No. 20 UCSD Softball Goes Yard at San Bernardino

In the fifth inning, sophomore Caitlin Brown and junior Dyanna Imoto both singled to get on base, advancing to second and third respectively off a throwing error. Brown was batted in by freshman Monique Portugal, as the Tritons went up by one run. Next up, junior designated hitter and righthander Jennifer Manuel hit a big double to leftfield for two RBI. Back at the top of the batting order, senior Kris Lesovsky homered to put the Tritons up 5-0. The hit was Lesovsky’s 26th career homerun.
        Senior pitcher Camille Gaito kept the Coyotes hitless in the bottom of the fifth inning, as the Tritons capped the win with a big four run inning in the sixth.
        With bases loaded sophomore Mya Romero sent a homerun to centerfield, to go up 9-0.

GAME 2
    UCSD 10
    CSU SAN BERNARDINO 1

The Tritons finished their second game within five innings. Hitting in the leadoff spot, Lesovsky hit righthander Abreanna Landeros for a homerun in the first inning. The Tritons tacked on another run in the second inning, and in the third capitalized on three San Bernardino errors to record three more runs.
        The Coyotes registered their only run in the third inning, off of only one hit. Freshman pitcher Michelle Escamilla records the win, in her first complete game as a Triton. The freshman had a standout performance, allowing just four hits in five innings.
        UCSD closed out the game in the fifth inning, as Lesovsky picked up her second RBI off of a double to left center. Romero and sophomore catcher Charly Swanberg both popped up to bring in two more runs, and Brown homered to left center to put the Tritons up 10-1.

GAME 3
    UCSD 3
    CSU SAN BERNARDINO 2

UCSD recorded all three of their runs in the first inning.

In the leadoff position, Lesovsky singled to right field, advancing to third on a Romero walk and a Swanberg single. With bases loaded, San Bernardino pitcher Courtney Wilhelms walked the next two batters, to put the Tritons up 2-0. UCSD picked up one more run, scoring off a ground out.

The Coyotes staged a comeback, registering runs in the fourth and sixth innings, but it wasn’t enough to push the games into extra innings.

The win was UCSD head coach Patti Gerckens’ 500th career win. In her 20th season, Gerckens is 500-440 all time.

GAME 4
    UCSD 4
    CSU SAN BERNARDINO 5

The Tritons registered eight hits, but only managed to convert four in the last game of the series.
        CSU San Bernardino went up early in the bottom of the first inning, scoring two runs off a Triton error and a sacrifice bunt.
        UCSD took one back in the fourth inning, as Brown advanced to third off a Portugal bunt and was brought home on a sacrifice fly from senior Tess Granath.
    Down just 2-1, Gerckens brought in Manuel to relieve Escamilla. But San Bernardino pitcher Courtney Wilhelms hit Manuel for a solo homerun in the fourth, while junior Alyssa Flores launched another one out of the park for two RBI.

UCSD tacked on three more runs off doubles from Lesovsky and Swanberg, but it was too little too late as San Bernardino walked away with the win in the series finale.