Baseball Splits in Series Against Cal Poly Pomona

Liske’s second homer came in the ninth, but it was too late to make a difference as the Broncos proved too strong for the Tritons.
    Sophomore Garrett Tuck had a good game at the plate, batting three for four with three singles.
    Bronco starter Ruvalkava improves to 2-0 on the year after racking up eight strikeouts despite giving up 10 Triton hits.

UCSD 6, Pomona 1
    The Tritons again opened up big on Friday in the first inning as Sophomore Justin Rahn singled up the middle and advanced to second on a wild pitch and to third on a ground out by LaFace. Rahnand scored on a single by Seigel. Seigel scored on a Tuck single to right to make it 2-0.

The Broncos responded with a run in the bottom of the inning, but junior right hander Ryand Goodbrand shut down Pomona for the rest of the game. The Triton pitcher allowed just one run on three hits and one error over the course of an entire game’s work to move himself to 2-0 on the season, and tied the series with Pomona in the process at one game apiece.

In the fifth, LaFace doubled to right to start the rally with one out. He was moved to third by a shallow single to leftfield by Siegel. Tuck hit another single to rightfield to bring in LaFace and to move Seigel to second. Sophomore Jonah Northrop then reached on a fielders choice, which was quickly followed by Seigel scoring on a Bronco infield error. Tuck was thrown out trying to reach home to end the inning.

UCSD 3, Pomona 9
    Things started out well for the Tritons on the first game of Saturday’s double-header, as the UCSD bats came alive to jump on the Broncos 3-0 in the first two innings.

Despite losing command in the second, the Bronco’s Geoff Brussard did not walk another Triton as he continued into the eighth inning for the win after the Bronco bats found some spark in the top of the third as Pomona center fielder Jordan Whitman homered to bring in two runs. In the top of the fifth, the Tritons started to struggle on the mound as the Broncos threw five runs up on the board on three hits. Most of the runs were unearned.
    The Triton offense managed seven hits, but none of them were on time as they had only three RBI’s to Pomona’s eight.

UCSD 4, Pomona 3
    The second game of Saturday’s double header tied up the series for the Tritons and moved them up to 4-4 in CCAA play.

Pitcher Greg Selarz started well for the Tritons, but allowed a run in each of the first two innings. He struck out three in the first four innings of play and walked two. Down 2-0, the Tritons could not get their bats to work until the fifth inning.

With two outs, Michaels singled to leftfield, and was brought in on the next at-bat from Choi, who homered over the left field fence to tie the game.

In the top of the sixth, the Broncos manufactured a run by moving their left fielder, Douglas Walter, around the bases with a little help from the Tritons.

Walter got on first by a walk, then moved to second on Triton pitcher Trevor Scott’s balk. Scott was pulled, and Walter was moved to third on a sacrifice bunt, and eventually scored on a sacrifice fly.

Down 3-2, the Tritons came roaring back in the bottom of the sixth. Leading off, Rahn was hit by a pitch to get on base. LaFace found similar luck and got on thanks to an error by the Bronco shortstop, Mike Santora. This moved Rahn to third and allowed him to score off Tuck’s single up the middle. Ringold and Northrop reached as the Bronco errors piled up. Frazier would score unearned to put the Tritons up 4-3 before Michaels and Choi struck out swinging.