Sun God Guest Tickets to be Sold Online

According to Festivals Coordinator Jennifer Tsai, the move to sell guest tickets online is a reaction to high demand. 

“It’s something we’ve wanted for a long time,” Zhang said, though the ASCE team has not determined whether guest tickets will be remain available through the UCSD Box Office.  

The second major change this year is that students will be able to vote on their selections to advance in each round of DJ Battle. Students will pick three contestants, and the committee will pick three more, instead of the committee choosing all the contestants.

In these two events —which occur at the beginning of Spring Quarter — student music groups compete to win a performance slot on the Main Stage or Dance Tent on the day of the festival.

“Previously, the people who advanced in the DJ Battle were all selected and judged by a committee,” Zhang said. “We decided to open it up and make it more public and democratic.”

Students at the open forum also suggested ideas such as publicizing the food vendors at the festival and spacing out the days in which tickets are sold. RIMAC Field, where the festival is held, has a maximum capacity of 20,000, so a maximum of 20,000 tickets are available, though the undergraduate enrollment is close to 23,000. Of the 20,000 tickets, 500 are set aside for alumni and 2,500 are reserved for guests, faculty and staff.

Applications for the DJ Battle and Battle of the Band will be due on March 24, the Saturday after Finals Week. Sun God Festival 2012 will be held on May 18, the Friday of Week Seven.