Big Weekend Ahead for Track and Baseball

The conference is one of the best in the nation, and Chico State will look to retain the championship on both the men’s and women’s sides.

“Chico’s going to be hard to beat on both sides,” men’s head coach Tony Salerno said. “As good as we are, there are a couple of other teams in the conference — Pomona, Cal State LA — that have improved dramatically.”

UCSD should have a slew of event winners, but Chico’s ability to stockpile points in some events with multiple point-scoring athletes — especially in the distance events — will make the Wildcats tough to bring down.

The Tritons do, however, have points guaranteed in some areas, with athletes such as Kelly Fogarty and Stephanie LeFever set to dominate their respective events. As a team, though, UCSD would need an exceptional day from many of the fringe players to take home a title, with a second- or third-place finish more likely.

“Historically, our athletes compete better at the conference meet than other teams,” Salerno said. “I think part of that is the exposure our athletes get to high-level competition.”

Baseball

The Tritons have already guaranteed themselves an eighth consecutive appearance in the four-team CCAA tournament, but the other three spots are undecided, and seeding is still up for grabs. The current top four teams in the conference — UCSD, Chico State, Cal State San Bernardino and Sonoma State — all face each other this weekend, with UCSD in a home-and-home series with San Bernardino and Chico and Sonoma clashing in a similar series on the same dates.

Cal Poly Pomona and Cal State LA are lurking in the fifth and sixth spots, but will face off in a four-game series this weekend — leaving various possibilities for how things might play out, though there are a few that would be best for UCSD.

First, UCSD is coming off a convincing sweep of Chico last weekend, and would most likely be more than happy to play the Wildcats again. If Chico can win one game, it should be in, and would face the Tritons in the first round.

Second, the Tritons dropped three of four to Cal State LA earlier this season, and could provide upset potential in the CCAA tournament. UCSD should root for Pomona to keep it out of the postseason, or else beating San Bernardino enough times this weekend could allow CSULA to sneak in.

Finally, and perhaps most obviously, UCSD would like to secure the top spot. Coming into the postseason off a series win can give a team a boost in the tournament, too, and will pair the top squad with the lowest seed in the tournament. UCSD can clinch the top spot with one more win.

UCSD has, however, won 13 straight since April 9, and certainly looks like a better-oiled machine than earlier in the season.  Pitching at the back end of the rotation remains a question, but the Tritons have enough talent to get past whoever they face in the CCAA tournament, held May 12-14 in Stockton, Calif.

Readers can contact Liam Rose at [email protected].