New Artwork Represents Campus Latino Presence

Dear Editor,

I respectfully dissent with Don Lindsay’s letter published in the Oct. 15 issue, entitled “New Campus Mural Is Politically Charged,” regarding the new campus mural.

First, the mural says “Health Care for All,” not “Government Health Care for All.” It never says whether health care must come from the government or from private corporations.

Second, there is already a place that displays “openly Christian symbols” and “faith-based American patriots” advocating stronger border security.

It is called Texas.

Furthermore, Lindsay’s comments regarding Che Guevara are completely irrelevant, because Che is not on the mural.

Third, diversity is neither “anti-white” nor “anti-straight.” As a heterosexual white woman, I feel threatened by neither the new mural nor the gay rights movement. An anti-white mural would say “F— All White People” on it. The mural by Peterson Hall is not anti-white, but pro-Latino. The two are not necessarily the same. I will still be heterosexual if and when gay marriage is legalized in California; same-sex marriage poses absolutely no threat to my heterosexual identity nor to that of any other heterosexual.

Lindsay protests the mural’s displaying of “clearly religious … statements,” then contradicts himself by saying the mural reflects “anti-faith” sentiments. He ought to make up his mind whether the mural is inappropriately religious or inappropriately secular.

Finally, Lindsay’s description of the “anti-American Hispanics … undermining our great, traditional American culture” is inaccurate.

Most, if not all, of UCSD’s Latino students to whom this mural is directed live in this country legally. They work hard, pay taxes and believe in liberty and democracy as firmly as any other group of Americans.

Additionally, immigration is one of our great American traditions. This country has seen waves of immigrants from India, Japan, China, Cuba, Russia, Germany, Italy, Ireland and many other countries.

All of these groups have contributed positively to the nation, bringing new foods, languages and ideas to the United States.

Welcoming these immigrants to our shores is an American tradition that has stood the test of time. Perhaps, as Lindsay is such a fervent patriot, he will one day travel to New York City and read the inscription underneath the Statue of Liberty: “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”

— Amanda Woods
    Sophomore, Muir College