UCSD Baseball Blows Slim Lead in Ninth

In between a recent 3-1 series win against league opponent Cal State Dominguez Hills and the start of a 12-game streak of California Collegiate Athletic Association games, the UCSD baseball team stayed on its home field to take on three non-conference opponents. The Tritons’ showing in these three games did not bode well for their upcoming league games, as UCSD dropped the first game to Cal State San Marcos on April 3 and then split a two-game series with Grand Canyon University on April 6 and 7.

The loss to Grand Canyon University came in the second game of the series on April 7 and was a game UCSD could have and should have won. The Tritons found themselves ahead 2-1 in the eighth inning of an intense pitching duel. The Tritons broke a 1-1 tie in the bottom of the seventh inning after sophomore outfielder John Mort’s leadoff double and freshman shortstop Vance Albitz’s sacrifice fly to center that brought Mort in to score.

With a 2-1 lead and sophomore ace right hander Trevor Decker taking the mound to begin the eighth inning after seven previous innings of one-run ball, the Tritons looked poised to take the victory. Decker made it through the eighth with no problem and finished the day with a great line of eight innings pitched, allowing seven hits, a walk and one run to go along with five strikeouts. The only thing missing from Decker’s day was a win. He was in line to pick one up until it took four UCSD pitchers to get through the ninth after allowing six runs in the final frame.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Derek Barham came in first and took the loss, as he couldn’t record an out, allowing two hits and three earned runs. Heach coach Dan O’Brien then called on freshman right-hander Eric Abraham, who had similar problems, allowing another two runs without recording an out. Junior right-handed pitcher Nick Rodiek was the first Triton pitcher able to settle down in the ninth inning, as he recorded two outs, but he still gave up two hits and a run. Finally, senior left-handed pitcher Todd Gimenez came in to record the last out and did without issue, but when all was said and done, the Tritons lost a 2-1 lead with three outs to go and found themselves down by five runs.

The Tritons were unable to bounce back, losing with a final score of 7-2, and had to settle for a split with Grand Canyon University when a series sweep was well within reach.

Despite seeing his masterful performance turn into a loss, Decker expressed his unwavering support for his bullpen.

“”I still put all my trust and faith in our bullpen,”” he said. “”You have to stay positive at all times.””

While the loss was certainly disappointing, the Tritons played quite a different ballgame in their first matchup with Grand Canyon University on April 6, which they won 14-2 thanks to four UCSD home runs and a seven-run third inning. Not only did the Triton offense break out for 14 runs, but UCSD also got a great pitching performance from freshman Daniel Simmons, who pitched a complete game, giving up two runs on seven hits and striking out five.

Most of the Triton lineup got involved in the 14-run outburst, but it was senior outfielder Matt Lawson who led the way, going 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two runs driven in.

“”I feel confident,”” Lawson said. “”All season I’ve been seeing the ball really well.””

The offense was also working in the Tritons’ April 3 game against Cal State San Marcos. Unfortunately, the Cougars’ offense was working even better. Despite an 18-hit, nine-run outburst, the Tritons fell 12-9 after Cal State San Marcos’ Scott Shapiro hit a grand slam in the sixth inning to put the game away. Shapiro hit UCSD pitching hard all day, going 3-for-4 with two home runs and eight RBIs.

While going 1-2 in the three games cannot be what the Tritons were hoping for, the results from nonconference are not as important as UCSD’s upcoming CCAA games.

The Tritons will start the home stretch of their CCAA schedule on the road in Monterey, Calif., where they will face Cal State Monterey Bay for four games from April 13 through April 15.