Ratcliff Debrieas Council on Koala, Price Center, Parking

After a moment of silence for Eleanor Roosevelt College Freshman Senator Stephanie Usry, who is recovering in Wyoming after a car accident, the A.S. Council moved to a question-and-answer session with Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Life Gary R. Ratcliff.

Ratcliff first provided the council with an update on the Student Center and Price Center expansions, informing them that all construction is currently on schedule. He also expressed satisfaction that student services had not been restricted at either location.

‘From October and November, we’ve seen no impact on sales at the food court in light of the construction,’ Ratcliff said.

He also reported that following negotiations, Subway and Expresso Roma Cafe have agreed to stay open until 2 a.m. The new hours will be implemented in the coming weeks.

Keeping several eateries open for late-night dining was a recommendation taken from the Undergraduate Student Experience and Satisfaction report.

‘We’re also working with the Transportation and Parking Services to ascertain student needs for late-night parking,’ Ratcliff said.

Earl Warren College Junior Senator Daniel Palay asked for an update on Porter’s Pub’s expiring lease.

‘After the lease expires, Porter’s will go to a month-to-month lease,’ Ratcliff said.

Ratcliff also mentioned that the University Centers Advisory Board asked Porter’s to submit a proposal outlining plans to remodel the space and address some operational issues. If after review the board approves, the lease will be extended another five years.

A.S. President Harry Khanna asked the vice chancellor about the status of the ‘Koala situation.’

Ratcliff answered that after two missed opportunities to appeal, the Koala office possessions have been put in storage, the locks changed and the office reassigned to Mock Trial and Intervarsity Christian Fellowship.

After the question-and-answer session concluded, Khanna reported that if the athletic fee referendum passes, only the current fee of $31.08 will be adjusted by the California Price Index for inflation, not the additional fee proposed by the referendum.

Toward the end of the council meeting, Thurgood Marshall College Junior Senator Kyle Samia asked to pull from committee the issue of Mock Trial splitting into three organizations to request more funding, because as distinct entities the organizations are entitled to be funded separately. After several councilmembers objected, the council took a vote, which ended with a tie. A.S. Speaker and Earl Warren College Senior Senator Michelle Yetter broke the tie in favor of the motion.

Thurgood Marshall College Senior Senator Adam Gardner observed an inconsistency in the discussion.

‘I don’t understand what we’re going to vote on,’ Gardner said. ‘If it passed by consensus in finance and finance makes up half of the council, then isn’t it going to pass anyway?’

After several more minutes of discussion to determine a course of action if a similar situation arises, the motion carried to support financing the organizations.