Web Exclusive: My Brightest Diamond – Bring Me the Workhouse

The debut album from My Brightest Diamond is a dark and bittersweet martini. At first, it’s hard to swallow, burning the throat with a concoction of wailing vocals and seductive instrumentals. Give it a chance, sip some more and you’ll enter a world that, as vocalist Shara Worden puts it, is “so beautiful and terrible.”

This drink doesn’t delay its desired effects. Hints of Bjork-twisted, fuller Amy Lee come through on Worden’s dangerous, half-wailed gothic poetry. Her voice, ranging from soothing whispers to powerful operatics, has earned her indie merit and recent collaborations with Sufjan Stevens and Jedi Mind Tricks.

“I think we should jump on the piano / No one’s looking, we could tear his heart out,” she sings on “FILL.” Eerie instrumentals serve as a chaser for such strong words, composed by Worden’s classically trained hand. The cello and violin put power to the pain with elongated, wailing strings and vibraphones add a creepy twist, forming beats that complement the vocals without overpowering them.

But after the euphoric buzz comes an inevitable drunk. The songs are rich and, after a while, bring on overwhelming dehydration, consumed and overtaken by Worden’s delirious moan. It’s not a drink for lightweights, but those who can hold down a whole keg of pseudo-opera vocals and dramatic, surging melodies might appreciate what Worden has to offer.