A.S. Council at a Glance

A.S. Meeting #10 – — Oct. 26

Public Input

• John Muir College Student Advocate Pat Allen announced his disappointment with the council’s decision to pass legislation to “severely limit” the artistic freedoms and creativity of students.

He referred to legislation passed during a Oct. 23 special meeting during which senators passed amendments to the Student-Run Television charter. The meeting, he said, was inadequately publicized. The meeting was eventually declared unconstitutional.

“This act is the ultimate act of cowardice,” Allen said. “I hope that, as a student of UCSD, that this council will step up to the job which it was assigned and make decisions in the best interest of the students it represents.”

• SRTV Station Co-manager Tiffany Rapp defended the station, explaining that it offers a variety of opportunities for students interested in television production.

In light of the recent controversy over its pornographic broadcast, she said that it was her “highest priority to uphold the creative rights and liberties of students.” She also said that SRTV has received no e-mails or complaints regarding the content of its broadcasts.

Items of Immediate Consideration

Item A

The amendment to the SRTV charter banning “graphic depictions of sexual activity involving nudity at any time,” proposed and passed by the council at a special meeting convened on Oct. 23, was rescinded by submitter Christopher Sweeten.

However, the item was reconsidered in a 19-5-0 vote, and ultimately passed in a 14-8-2 vote.

Item B

Another amendment to the SRTV charter that passed on Oct. 23, which would affix a March 8, 2006 expiration date on the charter itself, was also reconsidered and passed by consensus.

Items of Immediate Consideration

Item C

Senators did not challenge a finance committee recommendation to approve an additional $1,259 from its general unallocated funds to the All-Campus Transfer Association, despite criticism by Sixth College Senior Senator Matt Corrales. The original legislation asked for $5,190 but was pared down in committee.

“I think it’s fiscally irresponsible to put more money to it before it’s spent,” Corrales said.

Item E

Despite a unanimous finance committee recommendation in favor of transferring an unallocated $20,000 to fund campus organizations, the council chose not toapprove the legislation.

After rejecting the committee’s recommendation, the council chose to delay its final vote on the funding until next week.