Grocery workers locked out

Union representatives of 70,000 grocery workers broke off contract talks for the second time and called a strike against Vons stores late on the night of Oct. 11.

Rachel A. Garcia/Guardian
    Crossing the line: Ralphs union member employees were locked out on Oct. 12 after the United Food and Commercial Worker’s Union decided to strike.

The decision came after United Food and Commercial Workers’ Union leaders announced that negotiations with grocery store chains Ralphs, Albertsons and Vons failed to make measurable progress.

The companies called the strike “”a bad idea that inflicts economic hardship on employees of the companies and inconveniences the general public.””

By targeting only one company, UFCW officials said they hoped to reduce the inconvenience for consumers. They targeted Vons because the company operated the most stores in Southern California.

Rachel A. Garcia/Guardian
    Locked out: Ralphs union member employees picketed on Oct. 12 after talks broke down.

The companies said that a strike against Vons constituted a strike against all three, and promised that both Albertsons and Ralphs would lock out employees in what they called a “”defensive move.””

“”We realize that this economy is not the greatest and that we have to compete with Wal-Mart, but these drastic measures we just can’t handle,”” said deli clerk Jennifer Marsh, who led the striking workers at the Vons store on Regents Drive.

Early on Oct. 12, she said the workers were not seeing much support from customers.

“”I have not seen a single customer support us,”” Marsh said. “”It’s really frustrating, because these are the same customers that we help and we see every single day. And if they’re expecting the same kind of food on the shelves and the same kind of customer service, they’re going to be disappointed.””

In the afternoon of Oct. 2, picketers in front of Ralphs at the La Jolla Village Square were discouraging shoppers to cross the picket line to enter the store and encouraging passing cars to honk in support of their cause.

“”I think a lot of people are listening to us and going to other stores,”” said picketer and part-time Ralphs cashier Heather Rous. “”People aren’t going to come in as much, and that will help us.””

Picket captain Rita Ramon, also a part-time Ralphs employee, agreed.

“”It’s going well here, better than at the other stores,”” Ramon said. “”We’re close to our customers. More than anyone knows.””

At approximately 4:30 p.m., the picketers stood in front of the entrance to Ralphs delivery zone in an attempt to keep a Ralphs truck from entering. The truck, before getting to the loading zone, turned sharply in from the street and hit the side of a La Jolla Village Square customer’s Nissan XTerra.

While picketers speculated the driver was a temporary employee, store managers refused to comment.

Some UCSD students decided not to cross the picket line.

“”I refused to cross it, and I support the union”” said Thurgood Marshall College junior Daphne Eanash, who herself is part of a union for employees of the City of Oakland. “”I tried to find a place that doesn’t have a picket line, but they pretty much all do, so I ended up going to Henry’s.””

Other students went on with shopping as usual.

“”I have to say I sympathized, but at the same time it was nice in there, it was emptier than I’ve ever seen it and the lines were short,”” said Revelle College junior Kyle Witt, who crossed the picket line at Ralphs. “”I went to the side where there were the least amount of picketers, and I said ŒI have to eat,’ and they screamed back ŒTrader Joe’s.’ But tempted as I am to go to Trader Joe’s, I’m a Ralphs Club shopper.””

Negotiations came to a standstill on Oct. 5, after the union’s old contract expired and union representatives called off further discussion, asking for a strike vote from members.

The union returned to the negotiating table for a second round of talks with the grocers and federal mediators on Oct. 8, the same day that 97.4 percent of members from seven Southern California union locals voted to reject the companies’ proposal and authorize a strike.

Only 65 out of more than 8,000 voting members from San Diego’s Local 135 voted for the contract, totaling a 99.1 percent support for a strike, according to the union.

At issue were plans by the grocery chains to cut pension and attempts to cap wages for new employees almost three dollars below top salary for current workers.

The latest proposal also asked employees to shell out $260 yearly for individual health coverage and up to $780 for family plans, which was the first time stores asked workers to pay premiums for their health benefits.

The chains said they needed cuts to offset increasing costs of healthcare and competition from nonunion discount chains like Wal-Mart.

“”Our proposal fairly and reasonably addresses two important business realities,”” said Ralphs President John Burgon in a statement. “”Health care and pension costs are skyrocketing and the competitive landscape has changed in Southern California.””

According to a Los Angeles-based union hotline, the companies “”are still set on shifting a billion dollars in health care costs onto members and their families, representing a 50 percent cut in benefits.””

Vons President Tom Keller issued a press release just before midnight on Oct. 11.

“”We put forward a very good offer last weekend that the union leadership rejected out of hand,”” Keller stated. “”Since then the unions have misrepresented our offer, and appear to be determined to follow a strike path that holds no upside for our people.””

Despite promises by the bakers’ and Teamsters’ unions to honor UFCW’s picket lines, all three companies said they had plans underway to keep stores open.

However, signs at the usually around-the-clock Ralphs at La Jolla Village Square said the store would not open until 9 a.m. on Oct 12.

Ralphs produce clerk Anna Phillips, who found out about the strike that morning, arrived at the store shortly before 8 a.m. to find the doors locked.

“”My employers locked me and all of the union workers out. All of these people over here are probably the scabs, who have come to work,”” said Phillips, motioning to a group of 20 temporary workers waiting by the side entrance.

“”They handed me a letter just saying that, because one of their stores got struck, the whole bargaining unit is shutting its doors. All of the employees in there have to finish what they’re doing and then they have to come out,”” she said.