Fears eliminate experiences

As another year draws to a close, many students look forward to spending the summer or following year studying abroad. This year, these students have faced numerous obstacles. From fears of an anti-American backlash to concern over the spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome, Americans have been hesitant to travel. These concerns have had somewhat of an effect on students who had been hoping to study abroad, while other students seem to have no concerns at all.

Kenrick Leung

Some countries are off-limits for studying abroad. Students wishing to study in Israel, a popular study abroad destination, have had to set their sights on other countries. The UC-sponsored Education Abroad Program for Israel has been on hold since September 2002.

“”It will be reopened when it is deemed safe to go,”” said Kim Burton, director of the Programs Abroad Office.

Those who wish to find non-UC sponsored programs, such as the Opportunities Abroad Programs, in countries for which EAP has suspended its programs will find that there is still no way they can study there.

“”As long as EAP is suspending programs for that country, it will not support students in OAP programs,”” Burton said.

The SARS outbreak in Asia has had a major impact on study abroad programs in China. While the year-long programs remain open, the Intensive Chinese Summer Program in Beijing has been cancelled. Students who had been in Beijing for the year programs were also asked to return to the United States.

“”I spoke with a returnee who thought that EAP had made the right decision, even though she was not comfortable leaving China so suddenly,”” said Tonia Luo, the China advisor at the Programs Abroad Office.

These students are now “”busy getting readjusted”” to life in the United States.

“”[Program advisers] made every effort to get them back, from getting them plane tickets, free health insurance, to helping them get academic credit,”” she said.

The status of next year’s year programs could also change.

“”We are watching the Center for Disease Control travel advisories for China, Taiwan and Hong Kong,”” Luo said. “”We had a record number of applicants for China this year and EAP made an extra effort to get them to go.””

Even before EAP decided to cancel the summer program, about half of the students who had been accepted had withdrawn due to concerns about SARS. Hugh Wong, a John Muir College sophomore, based his withdrawal on the information he had about the disease.

“”SARS is found in the same family as the common cold, and there is no cure for it. It would be very hard, if not impossible, to find a cure for SARS. Plus, it was getting worse as time went on,”” Wong said. “”Even if it got better, the environment wouldn’t be the same. I wouldn’t be able to interact with the locals. The people are wearing masks and don’t want to talk with each other. And the treatment for SARS is a lot worse there than in the U.S.””

Although Wong has waited for his chance to study abroad for a long time, he is not too disappointed about missing out on the opportunity.

“”There are future opportunities when I can go to China even if I don’t have the opportunity to study abroad. As a U.S. citizen, I have a lot of options,”” he said.

While some students are postponing their trips until the following year, other students have had to change their plans, instead studying in countries such as the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Singapore. Another option for students to consider is the Princeton-in-Beijing program, a Chinese language program run by Princeton University in Beijing. This year it has been moved to the Princeton campus and has invited some UC students to participate.

Another student, Benjamin Wang, who is a Revelle College sophomore, is now preparing to spend his summer at the University of Cambridge in England.

“”After spring break, I had a feeling that [the China program] wasn’t going to happen,”” he said. “”I had to do some last-minute scrambling in terms of summer plans.””

While he is disappointed that he will not be going to China, going to Cambridge will be somewhat of a consolation.

“”It has a great program that fits my history and philosophy double major,”” he said. “”It was either that or going to Princeton for Princeton-in-Beijing, which sounded really lame.””

Despite fears of anti-American sentiment overseas, students who are currently abroad have not faced any dangerous situations.

“”Before the war broke out, students reported that the U.S. media was overblowing everything,”” Burton said. “”There were rallies that were anti-U.S., anti-Bush and anti-war, but not anti-individuals. The students felt very comfortable where they were. They also said it was interesting to see the different media perspectives.””

Even after the war had started, students still did not feel any danger.

“”I felt very lucky to be in Ghana when President Bush declared a state of war,”” said Ashley O’Neil, a Eleanor Roosevelt College junior who recently returned after completing a year at the University of Ghana. “”Many of us talked about it, and we all felt pretty much the same way — much safer here than we would ever feel in America.””

She did not feel that it was necessary to return home despite requests that she do so.

“”Although I got plenty of e-mails suggesting for me to return home for safety reasons, I didn’t — and have yet to — feel any anti-American sentiments,”” she said.

Students going abroad next year have similar feelings.

“”I’m not concerned about it,”” said Emily Fremming, a Thurgood Marshall College sophomore who will study in England this summer through OAP. “”Someone in the world is always at war. [My parents] seem comfortable and are encouraging me to check in with people who are abroad.””

Others feel that it may actually be a safer time to travel abroad.

“”This may actually be the best time to travel since the security will be so high, but the lines will be [a hassle],”” said Jeff Le, a Thurgood Marshall College sophomore who will spend a year in England.

While many travelers have fears of traveling to the Middle East, the number of applicants for Egypt (one of only two Middle Eastern countries in which EAP currently has an active program) has gone up.

“”Normally there are two to three applicants, and this year there were eight,”” Burton said.

As for Turkey, the other Middle Eastern country, there was one applicant, when there are typically two or three.

According to Joan Adamo, the Turkey advisor at the Programs Abroad Office, “”It’s only because people haven’t found out what a great place it is.””

Normally, there is a 20 to 25 percent withdrawal rate from EAP for a number of reasons. Because the students must apply nine months in advance, their lives can change within that time.

“”Sometimes, because the student changed their major, they will switch programs,”” Burton said. “”Financial changes will cause students to defer or go for a more reasonably priced program. It is for personal reasons, such as if they have a significant other they don’t want to leave or are involved in a sports team. They may also help their families if they have had accidents or illnesses. Sometimes students and their parents are afraid of the political climate.””

In addition, some students may no longer meet the language or GPA requirements of the program. According to Burton, this year’s withdrawal rate has been the same as the last couple of years.

The obstacles faced by students have not kept all students from pursuing their education abroad. In fact, the number of EAP participants at UCSD is increasing by 50 to 100 students per year. Next year, around 500 UCSD students will go abroad.

Burton believes that the increasing interest in the study abroad program is a good sign.

“”It is becoming more important than ever that students get some kind of an international education in light of what’s going on in the world,”” she said.

To prepare for their experiences, the students have already begun an orientation process. They have also been given packets of information on cross-cultural adjustments, safety and health to help them adjust to life in the new country.

“”We focus on helping students blend into a society academically and personally,”” Burton said. “”We want them to have as much of a non-American experience as possible and go where the natives go, not where the tourists go. We also suggest that they not wear their UCSD sweatshirts and dress like native students so they are less likely to be a target if anyone is looking for Americans as targets. The students need to learn what the norms are in the other society.””

Once students arrive in the host country, they will have a final orientation with the host country and UCSD faculty to help them complete the transition.

While some travelers and students may not feel comfortable traveling abroad in the coming year, many students are prepared to look forward to studying and immersing themselves in foreign culture and environment.