Choose your destiny: The 2002 Guardian election endorsements

The Guardian editorial board grants its endorsements to the statewide propositions and those candidates most deserving of victory on Nov. 5. Discover whether that guy on TV is a dedicated public servant or simply the lesser of two evils.

The views expressed in this section represent a majority vote of the editorial board. The editorial board consists of: Josh Crouse, Editor in Chief, Lauren I. Coartney and Charlie Tran, Managing Editors, Carrie Elizabeth Sklar, Copy Editor, Claire J. Vannette, Opinion Editor, Evan McLaughlin, News Editor, Rinaldo Dorman, Hiatus Editor, and Lindsay Boyd, Features Editor.

Governor

Gray Davis

The race for California’s governor is arguably the most disappointing that this state has seen in many years. Gov. Gray Davis has been criticized by both republicans and democrats during his last term. He has been blamed for the energy crisis, unemployment, access to quality health care, a possible water shortage and California’s low education ranking. Even so, Davis did what he could with an incredibly tough term in office, and he remains the best candidate on the ballot. The other candidates lack the political experience and savvy needed to run the fifth-largest economy in the world. With that in mind, the Guardian endorses Davis in this year’s gubernatorial election for California.

Lt. Gov.

Bruce McPherson

Republican Bruce McPherson should succeed incumbent Cruz Bustamante as Lieutenant Governor of California because he is not afraid to take the necessary measures to affect change.

McPherson values the independence of the office, which is not included on a ticket with the governor. He plans to work with both democrats and republicans to stand up for what he believes is right, even if it means speaking out against the governor or legislature and proposing alternative solutions to problems facing the state.

McPherson has made a career out of making his voice heard. As a former newspaper editor, he spoke out on issues concerning his readers. As a California state senator, he used his voice to influence policy debates that shaped laws that have increased funding for schools, improved public safety, created jobs, reduced taxes and protected the environment. McPherson will continue to use his voice to keep the government honest.

By avoiding special interest groups or a die-hard adherence to party lines, McPherson’s key loyalty is to the people of California. Through his leadership, the office will play a greater role in the state government and will become more visible in state affairs.

McPherson’s problem-solving skills are well-documented: he wrote California’s “”Son of Sam”” law, cast the deciding vote to ban offshore drilling and co-sponsored the largest tax cut in state history.

McPherson’s opponents lack vision and experience; McPherson clearly knows how to turn plans into action. And unlike other candidates for the office, he won’t waste his time with empty campaign rhetoric or intolerant, impossible or irrelevant issues.