Women's tennis beats Bakersfield 8-1

In its continuing quest for its first California Collegiate Athletic Association title, the UCSD women’s tennis team turned out another dominant performance, beating California State University Bakersfield 8-1 Saturday.

Kristina Jansen led the Tritons, first teaming up with Jasmin Dao to shut out Michelle Spitzer and Yani Sawai in No. 3 doubles 8-0. Jansen followed that win with an equally impressive performance, beating Spitzer 6-0, 6-0 in No. 5 singles.

UCSD’s Mary Hung shut out Brenda Knick 6-0, 6-0 in No. 4 singles. Prior to that match, Hung paired up with Ashley O’Neil to beat Colunda Owens and Knick 8-3 in No. 2 doubles.

The only blemish for the Tritons came in No. 1 singles when Dao lost to Kaitlin Nagy 3-6, 4-6. Dao has had difficulties this season at No. 1 compiling a 2-5 record.

“”A lot of times weaker teams have one great individual player and that’s what happened against Bakersfield,”” coach Liz LaPlante said. “”Jasmin played well, especially in the second set.””

LaPlante, however, has no concerns about Dao, who is a freshman, playing in the No. 1 spot.

“”She’s at the same level as most of these girls; she’s young and she needs to get mentally tougher,”” LaPlante said.

In the final doubles match, Lyndsey Tadlock and Julie Westerman defeated Nagy and Natalie Petersen 8-2.

In other singles matches, Ashley O’Neil defeated Owens 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 2 spot, Tadlock defeated Petersen 6-0, 6-4 in the No. 3 match and Stephanie Moriarty replaced Julie Westerman to defeat Sawai 6-2, 6-2 at No. 6.

“”Julie’s arm had been hurting,”” LaPlante said. “”With that meeting pretty much in hand, we decided to put Stephanie in and rest Julie’s arm.””

The Tritons return to action next weekend when they travel to University of San Francisco to square off against its Division I team coached by ex-UCSD tennis and basketball star Hilary Somers. The Tritons then face off against CCAA opponent San Francisco State.