Examining gender perspectives on 'The Vagina Monologues'

Though a somewhat inaccurate name since there are several group performances, this boldly vaginal theater is a complicated and powerful performance. The most difficult part is the diversity of emotions that is brought forth in the vignettes. Ranging from irreverent to depressing and often very sexual, “”The Vagina Monologues”” is entertaining and eye-opening. I liked it all, but even the most hard of hearts would have to agree that if nothing else, it certainly is exciting.

This play has become known for how striking it is with its open sexuality and genitally intimate topics, and the cast is definitely willing to risk shocking you a few times with unexpected words and actions.

There is a delicate balance between delightful and provocative, and I would suspect that the most resolute misogynist could still find something interesting about a woman asking the crowd to say “”cunt”” (she does so to reclaim the word).

Humor and surprise were brought out equally and with rather easy transitions, but the mood also changed to a more serious tone. Dealing with the issues of female genital mutilation and the raping of women during the war in Bosnia, serious issues were honestly and openly confronted.

The accounts of several girls’ first periods and their families’ reactions ran the gamut, painting a compelling image of what it is like to have an unexpected surge of blood start leaking out of your childhood unmentionables.

Preventing any sleeping audience members, the rendition of a verity of orgasms grabs your attention, playfully.

“”The Vagina Monologues”” gives a full-force production from start to finish that really anyone would be able to enjoy. Daring and perhaps a little brazen, the UCSD cast makes an entertaining and lively performance. Considering the range of attitudes of men, let me just say this: The dance between sexual and erotic will likely keep some longer than if the performance were less up-front about sexuality and, well … moaning.