Medical school decides to do away with honors grades for first quarter

The UCSD Academic Senate voted to eliminate the honors designation from the first quarter of medical school in the core curriculum in an effort to ease the transition from undergraduate status and to relieve pressure on medical students.

The honors grade will become available after the first quarter of the first year.

“”The faculty put the proposition forward and consulted with students,”” said Director of Student Affairs Deborah Anderson. “”[The proposition] was sent to the Academic Senate for final approval.””

The previous grading system had been one in which the work of students in classes constituting the core curriculum and fourth-year clinical internships would be reported as honors, pass or fail.

The proposal, which amended Regulation 503 of the school of medicine, was enacted because of the unique challenges associated with the first quarter of medical school.

The Academic Senate said some first-year medical students are at a disadvantage, having taken only the required prerequisite science classes as an undergraduate, while other students completed many first-quarter medical classes before enrolling in the school of medicine.

“”People take the summer program, which gives them an advantage,”” said second-year medical student Debbie Fraind. “”They just took the same course that’s offered during the regular school year.””

For them, first-quarter classes are a review; but for others they contain new material.

The school of medicine hopes to encourage cooperation among its students, and the elimination of the honors designation would de-emphasize competition and allow students to “”acclimate to the new academic realities”” of medical school, according to the Jan. 29 “”Report of the Faculty of the School of Medicine.””

“”People who know more are going to be more likely to help people out and worry less about their own grades,”” said second-year medical student Alice Lin.

Another concern was the increased class hours compared to those of undergraduates, which could lead to more stress with an honors grading scheme.

Critics have argued that while in medical school, students should do their best regardless of how far along they are with their studies, Anderson said.