Tritons clinch CCAA repeat

The UCSD women’s soccer team clinched its second consecutive California Collegiate Athletic Association South Division title Oct. 22 with a 2-0 win over UC Davis at Triton Soccer Stadium.

Colin Young-Wolff

This game made up for a Sept. 28 match that was postponed due to fog. In that game, the teams were deadlocked in a scoreless tie until the 57th minute, when the referee ruled it unsafe to play.

The Tritons are now 11-1 in CCAA play and 14-1 overall. The team is now ranked fifth in the nation.

UCSD struggled early against the talented Davis squad.

“”We came out flat in the first 15 minutes,”” said head coach Brian McManus. “”They were playing to stay alive. This game meant so much to them.””

With a win, the Aggies could have taken the lead in the CCAA’s North Division.

Despite being outplayed early in the first half, UCSD managed to get a goal against the flow of play. In the 14th minute, Megan Mendoza stripped Davis defender Carly Broaddus and pushed the ball up the right side of the field. The sophomore midfielder worked a one-two with Kristin Jones, creating space for a shot deflected by Aggie goalie Christine Ogden. Triton defender Jessica Cordova got the rebound first and easily put it back from 15 yards out, giving UCSD the 1-0 lead.

Davis nearly leveled the score in the last seconds of the first half, but as time expired Triton goalie Kami Poma made an incredible kick save on Aggie forward Tristan Ngoon’s shot.

UCSD controlled much of the game in the second half, thanks to its stingy backline. Julia Cuder, Molly Carlson and Christine Wensel combined to contain Davis’ potent attack.

“”Our defense played well,”” McManus said. “”Most of their shots were not very dangerous from long range.””

Midway through the second half, Erika Alfredson scored a goal — her team-leading ninth of the season — beating her defender before finishing far post from 15 yards out.

Davis continued to press after the second goal and forced Poma to make another outstanding save in the 71st minute when she deflected Broaddus’ 25-yard shot out of play. The sophomore keeper made nine saves as the Tritons recorded their seventh CCAA shutout.

The Tritons hosted 11th-ranked Cal Poly Pomona on Wednesday night at Triton Soccer Stadium in a showdown of national powers. The score was unavailable at press time.

UCSD hosts Grand Canyon University in its final home game of the year at Triton Soccer Stadium. The women’s game kicks off at 4:30 p.m.

In a related matter, it was recently announced that UCSD will host the 2001 CCAA Championships, which will take place from Nov. 2 through Nov. 4 at Triton Soccer Stadium. It is there that the Tritons will begin their road to a repeat as Division II national champions.