University Events Office debuts this year's lineup

Each year, the University Events Office at UCSD presents about 20 world music and dance performances. This year, performers from different countries and musical genres will bring UCSD the best of music and dance.

The season kicks off with two San Diego premieres: The Sean Curran Dance Company on Oct. 13 and Nov. 4, and Kosong Okwangdae, which performs Korean traditional masked dance.

The Sean Curran Company will perform four pieces, including “”Folk Dance for the Future.””

“”Sean Curran began his training with traditional Irish step dancing and progressed into modern dance with the Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company,”” said Judi Griffith, an events office representative. “”With his own company, he creates dance infused with his signature virtuosity, complex musicality and powerful emotion.””

General admission tickets are $22. Tickets are $20 for senior citizens and $10 for students.

“”Five Clowns Play: Kosong Okwangdae”” premieres Nov. 4. The play, told through dance and song, is the story of the Kosong Village in the South Kysonsan province of Korea. This art form dates back to the 10th century. The play will be performed by an all-male cast from the farming village of Kosong. Kosong Okwangdae will also be in Mandeville Auditorium at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $17 for general admission, $15 for senior citizens and $10 for students.

Jimmy Bosch, who was called “”one of the most devastating forces”” in Latin American music by the Los Angeles Times, will play the Price Center Ballroom on Oct. 19.

Irish singer Mary Black will make her long awaited return to San Diego on Nov. 3.

Coming Jan. 15, 2002, Frank Sinatra fans will be treated to what The New York Times calls a “”winning tribute to Ol’ Blue Eyes”” with “”Our Sinatra”” performed by an 11-piece band and a trio of singers. Also, look for the San Diego Film Festival at the Price Center in April 2002.

Baaba Maal, Lila Downs and Virginia Rodridgues are also scheduled to perform this year.

Tickets for all events are available at the UCSD Box Office and at all Ticketmaster locations.

For a complete calendar of events, visit the University Events Office or check out their Web site at http://ueo.ucsd.edu.