Students Practice Their Crafts

Nestled next to the Student Center among the eucalyptus groves lies the UCSD Crafts Center. Inside its walls, jewelry is crafted while pottery wheels spin into the night. The glass blower heats a small bit of glass to hundreds of degrees, allowing it to be blown into fantastic shapes.

Heating: Matt Evans heats up his bit of glass to hundreds of degrees Farenheit in order to make it workable.

Behind the Crafts Center, the rhythmic pounding of metal sounds as students practice blacksmithing. At the same time, golden sparks shower the area around the welder as he joins two pieces of metal together.

The Crafts Center has students of all ages. Many UCSD students find that it is an enjoyable outlet for their artistic abilities, as well as an excellent break from their intense studies.

The upcoming spring craft sale is the culmination of students’ work from the past quarter. Students will be selling their art pieces June 5 through June 7 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Crafts Center.

Sculpting: Roberta Cruz plays around with her clay, getting her hands dirty and having fun at the same time.

For more information on the Crafts Center, call (858) 534-2021, or visit its Web site at http://www-crafts.ucsd.edu.