Know Your Herb

In actuality, “”cannabis”” is an umbrella term for two botanical strains of marijuana: cannabis indica and cannabis sativa. Although they both contain the active ingredient THC, their differences are quite substantial to regular and casual smokers alike. Here’s the literature, but the truly curious will go taste the differences.

Sativa

Indica: Indicas originally come from the hash producing countries. They are short, dense plants with broad leaves and often grow a darker green. After flowering starts they will be mature in six to eight weeks. The buds will be thick and dense, with flavors and aromas ranging from pungent skunk to sweet and fruity. The smoke from an Indica is generally a light body high, relaxing and laid back.

Sativa: Sativas are just about the opposite of indicas. They are tall, thin plants with much narrower leaves and grow a lighter green in color. They grow very quickly and can reach heights of 20 feet in a single season. Once flowering has begun, they can take anywhere from 10 to 16 weeks to fully mature. Flavors range from earthy to sweet and fruity. The stone-effect of a Sativa is cerebral and energetic.

Cross Strain

Cross Strains: Cross strains offer the best Sativa and Indica have to offer. Most cross-strains enjoy the smaller size of Indica plants (ideal for indoor growing), but contain the energetic high of sativas.

— David Lee