Hiatus Weekly Calendar

All tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497 or by going to http://www.ticketmaster.com, unless otherwise noted.

Courtesy of http://www.flecktones.com
Fleck: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones will perform at Spreckels Theatre this Friday.

12 Thursday

Venice has been compared to the likes of Fleetwood Mac and the Eagles. You can catch this harmony-laden group at the Belly Up Tavern at 8 p.m. Tickets are $12.

Go to Dizzy’s and check out some “”adventuresome”” jazz from Return to One. Shows start at 8 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. The cost is $6. For more information call (858) 270-7467.

13 Friday

One of the most talented jazz-funk-bluegrass groups you’ll ever see is Bela Fleck and The Flecktones. Bela Fleck and her nontraditional style of banjo playing leads the group. Fleck is backed by Roy Wooten, who plays a hybrid drum machine and synth module that is shaped like a guitar, as well as bassist Victor Wooten and avant-garde saxophonist Jeff Coffin. They will be performing at Spreckels Theatre in downtown San Diego. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets start at $28.50.

The Melvins are arguably the band that started the grunge phase before bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden made it accessible to the masses. The Melvins all but disappeared along with grunge, but they are touring again behind their recent release, “”Crybaby.”” Watch them perform at the Brick By Brick. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. and tickets are $12.

Joe Walsh, ex-guitarist from the Eagles, will be performing at the Belly Up Tavern. After the Eagles self-destructed in 1980, Walsh went on to have a successful solo career. His show starts at 9 p.m. and tickets are $40.

14 Saturday

This Computer Kills and Durga will perform at the Che Cafe at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $5. For more information call (858) 534-2311.

The Gilbert Castellanos Quartet will perform at Dizzy’s at 8:45 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. with an $8 cover. Call (858) 270-7467 for more information.

15 Sunday

Joe Jackson offers a darker form of pop music and may be best known for his 1982 hit “”Steppin’ Out.”” Jackson will perform at 8:30 p.m. at 4th & B.

17 Tuesday

Tonight you can envy your friends when they go to the U2 revival at 7:30 p.m. at the San Diego Sports Arena.

19 Thursday

After spending a lot of time in the Dallas club scene, the Toadies will perform at Canes Bar & Grill. They have opened for acts such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Butthole Surfers and the Supersuckers. The Toadies’ new CD is titled “”Hell Below/Stars Above.”” The show starts at 8 p.m.