UCSD Club Sports

Sailing Team

On Feb. 3 and Feb. 4 the UCSD sailing team hosted its first regatta of the South Series in beautiful 80 degree weather at Mission Bay. However, it was not smooth sailing, as the lack of wind was a significant factor in the races.

The challenging conditions proved no match for UCSD, as it had some great individual sailing to secure ninth place in the competition, overcoming chief rivals Cal Poly Pomona and San Diego State. The Tritons also knocked off Pepperdine, UCLA and three of the Stanford boats. Varsity members Rob Grant and Galen Richards earned third place in the last race of the day, and team members R.J. Ward and Kim Leung earned a ninth-place finish in the extremely tough A division.

On Sunday, UCSD fared even better, garnering sixth place out of 24 boats. Grant and Richards were again the top finishers for the team, while newcomer Ryan McDonald impressed with his versatile sailing. UCSD will be looking to its new recruits to step up soon to make up for the imminent loss of varsity skipper Ward, who is stepping down in order to concentrate on the MCAT.

Women’s Rugby

Last weekend the UCSD women’s rugby team humiliated Claremont University to the tune of a 24-7 drubbing. UCSD used strong scrums and excellent team support to overcome a Claremont team with which it had traditionally been evenly matched.

UCSD’s NeNe Britt dominated defensively, allowing only one try to Claremont the whole game. Britt and teammate Tina Evangelon also ignited their offense with strong runs and huge yardage gains.

UCSD was victorious despite the fact injuries dwindled its numbers from 30 to 20 players. With the win the Tritons bump their record to 3-1-2 in league play.

Men’s Lacross

Last Sunday the UCSD men’s lacrosse team opened up its 2001 campaign by crushing Claremont University 20-6.

The Tritons’ victory was made possible by their quick transitions, which kept pressure on the Claremont defense, as well as their intensity on scooping up ground balls.

The team was led by Jurjen Westra (4 goals, 2 assists), Brenden Eckelman (3 goals), Matt LaFiandra (2 goals, 4 assists) and Jared Crabtree (3 goals). Crabtree, a freshman, received the game ball for his first hatrick and his extremely physical play.

Upcoming Events

Friday, February 16

*Men’s Lacrosse vs. UCSB at UCSB

Saturday, February 17

*Men’s and Women’s Ultimate-President’s Day Tournament at 9 a.m., RIMAC Field

— Compiled by Isaac Pearlman