Neuroscience Professor Passes Away

UCSD Professor of Neurosci-ences and founder of Myelos Neurosciences Corporation, John S. O’Brien, passed away in his La Jolla home Thursday, February 1.

Internationally known for his discovery of the genetic cause of Tay-Sachs disease and his development of screening tests for the disease, O’Brien was first recruited by the UCSD School of Medicine in 1968 after six years as a faculty member at the University of Southern California.

His scientific work and his efforts in support of screening led to the establishment of widespread, coordinated screening, education and counseling programs for high-risk individuals, resulting in a decrease in the number of Tay-Sachs deaths.

Chairman of the Department of Neurosciences at the UCSD School of Medicine, Leon Thal, remembers O’Brien fondly.

“”John was a world-class scientist, an esteemed colleague, a wondrful mentor to his students and a warm, caring individual who will be deeply missed,”” Thal said.

UCSD Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences Edward W. Holmes remarked on O’ Brien’s contributions to the field of science.

“”[He] was an early pioneer in the application of knowledge gained in the laboratory to help patients,”” Holmes said. “”He built upon his imporant scientific work to become an advocate for genetic screening and education programs, effectively bridging the gap between basic science and patient care.””

O’Brien is survived by his wife Susan, his mother, Esther, his sister Linda and her husband Peter O’Brien-Rothe, six children, John E. and his wife Janet, Maggie and her husband Jack Mathers, Kathleen and her husband Chris Alex, Bridgt and her husband Douglas Youngdale, Michael and his wife Terri, Patrick and his wife Lisa and 20 grandchildren.

At this time, only private family services are planned. The family requests that all donations be sent in lieu of flowers to support the UCSD Graduate Program in Neurosciences. In addition, checks should be made out to the UCSD Foundation and sent to the following name and address: Leon J. Thal, MD, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA. 92093-0624.