Hiatus Weekly Calendar

Courtesy of Dave Hignett
Hardcore: A new look for Vanilla Ice who will perform on Friday at the Pub.

01.25.01

R.L. Burnside is 74 years old, but he can still play the blues guitar like no other. With classic tunes about moonlight train rides and loneliness, he stands as a living legend. He performs at the Belly Up Tavern at 8:30 p.m. Tickets cost $12 and can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497.

New York City guitar player and songwriter Leni Stern performs at Dizzy’s in downtown San Diego. Stern has developed her unique guitar style over a 15-year recording career. Her 1998 release, “”Recollection,”” hit the Top Ten of the Year in the Billboard Jazz Chart. The show starts at 8:45 p.m. and tickets cost $8. Call (858) 270-7467 for ticket information.

01.26.01

Vanilla Ice is still alive, and better yet, he is coming to Club Ritmo at Porter’s Pub in the Student Center. The show starts at 9 p.m. and the party goes until midnight. Tickets are $10 for UCSD students. For more information call (858) 534-5259.

San Diego natives Celia Lawley and Joel Reese perform their style of fiddle music and country ballads at Dizzy’s. They will be backed by their band, Thunder Rose. The show starts at 8:45 p.m. and tickets cost $8. Call (858) 270-7467 for more information.

Neil Diamond cover band Super Diamond will put their own spin on all the classics that your parents made you listen to. This San Francisco group will be at the Belly Up Tavern tonight at 9:15 p.m. and on Saturday at the same time. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased through Ticketmaster at (619) 220-8497.

Prince Tamino goes on a quest to save a beautiful princess in a world of sorcery, dungeons and wild animals in the San Diego Opera’s production of Mozart’s The Magic Flute. The words will be sung in German while English translations are projected above the stage. The performance starts at 8 p.m. Additional performances this Sunday start at 2 p.m. and on Wednesday at 7 p.m. Tickets cost $33 to $124. Call (619) 570-1100 for ticket information.

01.28.01

The infamous Blue Oyster Cult will perform their wholesome Satanic metal at 4th & B. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets cost $15. Call Ticketmaster to buy your tickets at (619) 220-8497.

Salsa combo Orquesta Primo will perform at the Belly Up Tavern. Primo will be the host of the Belly Up Tavern’s Salsa Sundays. A one-hour class at 7 p.m. will help you with your moves. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are only $5. Call Ticketmaster at (619) 220-8497 for more information.

01.29.01

Poison the Well is a south Florida metal band that will be supported by Martyr A.D. and American Tragedy. The show at the Che Cafe will start at 8 p.m. Tickets are $6. Call (858) 534-2311 for ticket information.

01.31.01

Creeper Lagoon was voted the best new artist of 1998 by “”Spin”” magazine. They will perform songs from their upcoming album, which will be released on March 27. Creeper Lagoon have performed with Elliott Smith, the Dandy Warhols, Rocket from the Crypt and Harvey Danger. Call (619) 232-4355 for ticket information.

02.01.01

The duo known as the Rembrandts might be better known as the duo who sing the theme song from the hit television show “”Friends.”” They will perform at the Brick by Brick. Tickets cost $10 and the show starts at 8 p.m. To purchase tickets call Ticketmaster at (619) 220-8497.