UCSD Swimming Makes Waves

The UCSD men’s and women’s swim teams participated in their first home meets of 2001 last Sunday at Canyonview Pool. UC Davis and Claremont College were originally slated to compete in the meet, but Claremont was unable to attend at the last minute.

Lyon Liew

The previous day, the women’s team traveled to Los Angeles for a dual meet against Division I schools UCLA and Washington State University.

Sandra Lopez, a junior who turned in stellar performances over the two days, said that the Tritons were happy to be back at home competing against a Division II school rather than Division I schools.

“”The conditions [at UCLA] were far from good. It was a mentally challenging meet,”” she said.

Lyon Liew

Head coach Scott McGihon concurred that the facilities at UCLA’s Men’s Gym Pool were not very good.

“”There was no place to warm up or warm down,”” he said.

However, McGihon refused to use the swimming conditions as an excuse.

“”UCLA and Washington State were in the same situation,”” he said. “”We didn’t swim our very best on Saturday but we performed extremely well [on Sunday] and responded well from the meet at UCLA.””

McGihon said that UCSD’s schedule, because it includes Division I schools like UCLA, will be good preparation for nationals.

“”You want to schedule with good teams so you can get experience against fast people,”” he said.

Lopez competed in the 200-meter breaststroke, the 200-meter IM, and the 200-meter freestyle on Sunday, winning all three events with times of 2:21.40, 2:13.70 and 1:57.60, respectively. At UCLA she posted an impressive second place finish in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:06.37.

Also bringing in notable times were Jennifer Watanabe, a sophomore, and Carly Ross, a freshman. Watanabe turned in two second place finishes in the 200 backstroke (2:04.87) and the 200 IM (2:11.18) at UCLA and continued her strong performance on Sunday with top times in the 100 backstroke (59.23) and the 500 freestyle (5:07.34). Ross claimed first place in the 200 freestyle on Saturday with a mark of 1:54.25 and the 100 freestyle with a time of 54.16 at home.

The women’s 200 freestyle relay teams did well both days. Saturday’s relay team, comprised of Carolyn Kwok, Evelyn Kwok, Sharon Smith and Samantha Wong, came in second at UCLA (1:41.10). A similar team, this one with swimmers Carolyn Kwok, Evelyn Kwok, Smith and Christina Guintu, finished first on Sunday with an even faster time (1:40.39).

The Triton men’s team came out with authority Sunday, putting in one of their best meets of the season. The team had put in a tough week of training after returning from winter break, and it was evident. Leading the way was Christian Deck, a junior, who finished no lower than third in all of his events.

Deck competed in the 400 medley relay, the 50 freestyle (21.95), the 100 freestyle (47.89), and the 200 freestyle relay, finishing second in all events except the 50 freestyle, in which he placed third. The 400 medley relay team, made up of Deck, Luke Seed, Rusty Jones and Ryan Wong brought in a mark of 3:31.36. In the 200 freestyle relay, Deck, Seed, Daniel Fisher and Pat Carter finished in 1:28.73.

“”Individually, this was one of my strongest mid-season meets,”” Deck said. “”We’re in a good position and it looks promising for nationals.””

McGihon was extremely pleased with Deck’s performance, both individually and with the relay teams.

“”He swam about as fast as he did in nationals last year,”” McGihon said.

The next, and final, home meet for both teams will be on Jan. 27 against California Baptist University.

McGihon wants to use that meet as a springboard for the conference and national meets.

The teams will have two weeks off before the conference finals in Long Beach, where the goal is to allow swimmers who have not yet qualified for nationals to do so. For those who have already qualified, the goal is to peak right around nationals.

Lopez feels that the Tritons have a great shot at winning nationals.

“”We need to come together and perform like we know we can,”” she said. “”It’s going to take everyone.””

With the strong showing at home this past weekend, both the men’s and women’s teams are in a good position to achieve their goals.