CUE and University Reach Agreement

University clerical workers, following a ratification vote by members of the Coalition of University Employees, have a new contract with the university that provides for wage increases through 2001, including retroactive payments.

“”We are very pleased to have reached this agreement with CUE,”” said Judith W. Boyette, UC associate vice president for human resources and benefits. “”I want to thank clerical employees for their patience and for their continued dedication to the university during the negotiations process.””

The contract, signed by UC and CUE representatives on Dec. 20, 2000, took two-and-a-half years to negotiate.

“”This is a historic first for CUE,”” said CUE President Claudia Horning, a library worker at UCLA. “”This is the first contract for CUE, and we’ve made many significant improvements over the previous union’s contract. CUE members should be very proud.””

The contract includes a 7.8 percent cost of living increase over two years, and maintains a “”step-merit”” system of salary increases.

The contract includes new procedures that require a bona fide business purpose to conduct an employee background check, and agreement that allegations of discrimination not tied to other provisions of the contract can be appealed to arbitration, and a term stating that UC managers will commit to “”fair and respectful treatment”” of clerical employees.

CUE represents 18,000 employees statewide, about 3,000 of which are at UCSD.

Horning said the CUE contract is the strongest contract the university has negotiated with a union. She added that CUE took the best parts from other contracts and incorporated them into one.

She said students may even see indirect results of the new contract.

“”Students will find that the clerical employees they deal with are a little happier,”” Horning said.

CUE and the University of California will resume negotiations in May 2001 for the next contract.

Horning said that while the first contract was difficult to negotiate, she thinks the next contract will go smoother.

“”We don’t think it will be as difficult,”” she said. “”We certainly learned a lot in the process.””