Extension to Offer Two Graphic Design Certificates

The UCSD Extension has announced two new information technology certificates in response to the increased demand for Web graphic designers. The certificate programs, Animation and Graphic Design for the Web and Web Design for Graphic Professionals, will be offered starting winter 2001.

“”As the need for qualified Web designers continues to increase, we are constantly creating new programs to meet these demands,”” stated Jim Brown, director of UCSD Extension’s Graphics and Digital Media Department.

“”These new certificates are intended to provide graphic designers with the skills they need to move into highly desirable Web-based positions as well as provide the San Diego community with the trained professionals needed to support our growing high-tech industries,”” Brown stated.

The Animation and Graphic for the Web specialized certificate program is a four-course, hands-on program that provides students with intensive professional training in graphics and animation. Students learn animation techniques, design techniques, programming and specific industry software such as Flash and PhotoShop.

The Web Design for Graphic Professionals specialized certificate is designed for those with backgrounds in graphics who want to use their skills to design Web sites. The program focuses on effective visual communications and gives graphic professionals the opportunity to learn how to apply their experience and knowledge to the Web.

This program differs significantly from the current Web Publishing certificate, as the focus is on visual graphics and multimedia rather than on HTML, javascripting and technical aspects of Web design. The emphasis will be on practical, effective applications and the perspective will be toward the graphically inclined student or one who desires solid Web graphics training.

Students in the new Web design program will focus on three primary skill areas: digital design, including the principles of design, color, typography and digital technologies; “”what-you-see-is-what-you-get”” Web page design and software applications; and graphic optimization and multimedia on the Web.

Enrollment is open to the general public, and there is a $35 enrollment fee. Program certification fees vary.

An information technologies free information seminar will be held Jan. 4 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the UCSD Extension’s Sorrento Mesa center to provide more information on the new programs. Existing certificates in e-commerce, Web publishing, multimedia development, XML programming, and PDA programming will also be discussed. Make reservations by calling (858) 622-5740 or by e-mailing [email protected].

Dates and times for all Winter 2001 courses are available at http://www.extension.ucsd.edu.

UCSD Extension’s information technologies department offers a broad array of courses and certificate programs to aid professionals in upgrading their high-tech skills in graphic design, communications and networking, software analysis and design, programming, Oracle, Microsoft, UNIX/Linux system administration, e-commerce, Web technologies, and multimedia development.

UCSD Extension is a division of UCSD’s Extended Studies and Public Programs, and offers more than 90 professional and specialized certificate programs in a wide variety of disciplines for business, science, engineering, education, interpretation and foreign languages. Nearly 40,000 adults attend classes each year at its facilities on the UCSD La Jolla campus, the Sorrento Mesa Center and the North County inland center in Carmel Valley Ranch.