The Hiatus Calendar

Thursday

Jazz act Return to One will perform at Galoka on La Jolla Boulevard. You can expect to hear original tunes as well as some John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter and more. The show begins at 9 p.m. and the cover is $5. Call (858) 551-8610 for more information.

Etta James is in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame, and in 1994 she won a jazz Grammy and the W.C. Handy award. However, mere awards do not convey the amount of energy she exudes. James will perform at the Belly Up Tavern. Tickets are $35 and the show starts at 9 p.m. Call Ticketmaster at (619) 220-8497.

Friday

San Francisco blues guitarist Tommy Castro will perform at 4th & B. The show starts at 8 p.m. To buy tickets call Ticketmaster at (619) 220-8497.

UCSD alumnus and San Diego native Chris Klich will announce the release of his CD “”The First Take”” with a show at Dizzy’s. The album features Klich on the clarinet, alto and tenor sax as well as the flute. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. and tickets cost $4. Call (858) 270-7467 for more information.

Regina Carter has redefined the image of what a violin can do. Carter will bring her blend of jazz, funk, African and Brazilian music to the UCSD Mandeville Auditorium. She has performed with Wynton Marsalis, Lauryn Hill, Billy Joel and Dolly Parton. Tickets cost $20 and the show begins at 7:30 p.m. To buy tickets call the UCSD Box Office at (858) 534-TIXS.

Saturday

Indie rockers Karate will perform at the Che Cafe at 8 p.m. Tickets cost $6. For more information call (858) 534-2311.

There was one song on the radio all the time by Common Sense. Little did you know that their mix of reggae, rock, funk and soul adds up to more than just one radio hit. They will perform in the Belly Up Tavern at 9:15 p.m. Tickets cost $10 and can be purchased through Ticketmaster by calling (619) 220-8497.

Sunday

Alternative rock band Flaming Lips will perform at 4th & B. Tickets cost $16.50 and the show starts at 8:30 p.m. For ticket information call Ticketmaster at (619) 220-8497.

You cannot miss a show by a band that calls itself Midget Handjob. They will perform at the Casbah. Tickets cost $8 and the show starts at 8:30 p.m. Call Ticketmaster at (619) 220-8497 to buy tickets.

Pop punk rockers No Use for a Name will perform at the Mira Mesa Epicentre. The show begins and 7 p.m. Call for ticket information at (858) 271-4000.

Monday

If you know country music or even pop music, for that matter, you know the magic of the Dixie Chicks, who will perform at the Cox Arena. Tickets will be sold through Ticketmaster outlets or you can call Ticketmaster at (619) 220-8497.

Wednesday

Start your Thanksgiving with a bit of jazz. Dizzy’s will host a Thanksgiving Eve Jazz Fest featuring Peter Sprague, Chris Thiele, Sean and Sarah Watkins, and Kevin Hennessy. Show times are at 8:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Tickets cost $8. For more information call (858) 270-7467.

The Offspring are often criticized for being mainstream, but you’ve got to admit that they have catchy tunes. They will perform at the Cox Arena at 8 p.m. SX-10, Cypress Hill and MxPx will open the show. For ticket information call (619) 220-TIXS.