San Fran Bummed Out by UCSD

No, those were not overeager witches breaking out their broomsticks for a quick pre-Halloween jaunt that you may have seen Friday night in San Francisco.

Those were simply members of the UCSD women’s volleyball team grabbing theirs for a dominating sweep of San Francisco State in SFSU’s own arena, appropriately titled The Swamp.

The play of San Francisco State looked like something that belonged submerged in the goopy detritus of some dank bog somewhere, at least in contrast to the superb play of UCSD.

The three-game sweep showed the Tritons in solid form; they executed their plays cleanly and made few mistakes after the first game.

Early on was a slightly different story, however, as the Tritons were still probably thinking of the late-night, five-game shocker they pulled out against Sonoma State on Friday. The first game went to extra points to squeak past SFSU 16-14.

Once the cobwebs cleared, however, it was Tritons, Tritons, and more Tritons for the remainder of the match. The team gathered a collective second wind and went on to take the final two games in a steadfast and decisive fashion, with scores of 15-4 and 15-6 to collect the sweep and the all-important Collegiate Conference Athletic Association win.

Leslie Punelli led the way for the Tritons with her 12 kills and 18 digs, while teammates Kathleen Hentz and Dianne Camarillo also stood out among the bolstered UCSD attack, both with at least ten kills apiece.

These three players continue to dominate as they have all season, and alongside players like Laura Santerre and Jennie Wilson, they form the core of the Tritons’ winning formula and keep head coach Duncan McFarland smiling.

With this win the Tritons improve their glowing record to a stellar 19-4 overall, with 13-2 tally in conference play.

The lowly San Francisco squad fell to 3-15 and 1-14 overall.

The Tritons have another big weekend ahead of them as they will once again face off in two huge divisional games, this time against Cal State Stanislaus on Friday at 7 p.m. and Cal State Bakersfield on Saturday at 8 p.m.

This two-game series marks the return of our beloved Tritons to our very own RIMAC Arena after two consecutive weekends on the road.

Come out and support our squad as both of these opponents are fierce Triton rivals and will surely be gunning for them this time around after earlier losses. The white-hot Tritons, though riding high on their winning streak will hopefully continue their victorious ways and you should be there to see it all go down.